Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Endless Pursuit

"You make anything seem possible," a friend recently said to me. Not really sure what she meant, I took her comment as a compliment because she is a kind person.

As fortune would have it, later that same day, someone told me that anxiety results from the endless pursuit of that which is simply not possible.

Hmmm....at last, the secret to ending my chronic anxiety!  I am endlessly chasing something-- new ideas, experiences, inner peace, a better mouse trap. So the way to get rid of anxiety--or at least to make friends with it-- would be to lose the pursuit of the impossible.

But I am not very good at figuring out what is possible and what is not.

Maybe the key word isn't "possible". It's "pursuit". As in endless, compulsive chasing. Surely it's possible to figure out what that is.

 But the pursuit is ever so addictive. Seductively so.

Fortunately,  it is also exhausting. And I am tired.
The part of me that wants to be kind to myself wants to rest.
Take a nice long nap. But then maybe that's what I have been doing all along--chasing stuff while sleep walking.

And it's time to wake up. What happens then?


No comments:

Post a Comment